SCORE

Original Date Posted: Mar 02, 2012
By: Blair Ball

What is a goal?

Goal Target

Simply a goal is a target, a point of completion for a pre-determined desire or want, a place where we can see if our intentions are being realized. It is extremely difficult for us to get motivated about making any progress towards an unknown target. Without the target, we tend to stop progressing and just exist. We drift aimlessly, just what comes our way.

http://scorememphis1.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/target.png?w=274

Goals are…

  • Truly personal.
  • Wants.
  • Desires.
  • Dreams
  • Vital part of who we are.
  • The fuel for a satisfying life.
  • Things we’d like to see in ourselves
  • Things we’d like to see in our lives
  • Things we’d like to see in our environment

To master life, you simply need to know what you want. Then determine the price you’re going to have to pay to achieve it, and then resolve to pay that price!

The life you enjoy in the future will reflect the price you pay between now and then.

Life planning is useless, unless at the end of the process we are very definite about exactly what we want to do. – Richard Bolles author What Color is your Parachute?

People are generally motivated by two forces.

  1. Desire for gain
  2. Fear of loss

Reasons Why People Don’t Set Goals

1.   They are not serious
2.   They have not accepted responsibility for their lives
3.   Their deep-seated feelings of guilt and unworthiness
4.   They don’t realize the importance of goals
5.   They don’t know how
6.   They fear criticism and rejection
7.   They fear failure. The fear of failure is the greatest single obstacle to success.

Remember this…It is impossible to Succeed without Failing.

Writing Down Your Goals

Why is writing down you goals important?

Harvard University did a study of their graduates. They followed a group of men and women for 20 years, and tracked their progress. They found the top 5% of the graduates, were worth (Net Worth) more than the other 95% combined. The difference? They set goals and WROTE THEM DOWN!

  • Write: Exactly What you Want
  • Write: Exactly When You Want it
  • Write: In Positive Language
  • Write: Present Tense – as if it already exists

HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR GOALS

  1. What are your five most important values in life?
  2. What are your three most important goals in life, right now?
  3. What would you do, how would you spend your time, if you learned today that you only had six months to live?
  4. What would you do if you won a million dollars cash, tax free, in the lottery tomorrow?
  5. What have you always wanted to do, but been afraid to attempt?
  6. What do you most enjoy doing? What gives you your greatest feeling of self-esteem and personal satisfaction?
  7. What one great thing would you dare to dream if you knew you could not fail?

YOUR WHEEL OF FORTUNE

Goal Starter Ideas

  • Family
  • Financial
  • Physical
  • Professional
  • Social Media
  • Community
  • Spiritual
  • Mental

FAST TRACK TO ACHIEVEMENT TWELVE STEPS

  1. Develop Desire – intense, burning desire.
  2. Develop Belief.
  3. Write it down.
  4. Make a list of all the benefits from achieving your goal.
  5. Benchmark your starting point or position.
  6. Set a deadline.
  7. Make a list of all the obstacles that stand between you and the accomplishment of your goal.
  8. Identify the additional information you will need to achieve your goal.
  9. Make a list of all the people whose help and cooperation you will require.
  10.  Make a plan.
  11. Use visualization.
  12. Make the decision, in advance, that you will nevernevernever give up!

What you focus on, your inner dialogue (Positive or Negative) will move you in that direction.

DON’T QUIT

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,

When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,

When the funds are low and the debts are high,

And you want to smile but you have to sigh,

When care is pressing you down a bit,

Rest if you must, but don’t you quit,

For life is queer with its twists and turns,

As every one of us sometimes learns,

And many a failure turned inside out,

The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,

And you never can tell how close you are,

It may be near when it seems so far,

So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit,

It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit!

–      Anonymous