Original Date Posted: Jul 12, 2012
By Blair Ball
Men and women of great character are those who have developed the habits of thinking and behaving that are consistent with the fine qualities that they wish to be known for.
1. Develop Your Own Character
- If you wish to develop the quality of courage, act courageously even when you feel afraid.
- If you wish to develop the quality of generosity, be generous on every occasion, even if your feel stingy.
Establish a series of goals and a work schedule for the development of your own character and personality.
Set high standards for yourself, and resolve to develop the habits of excellent behavior practiced by the men and women who you most admire.
2. Imagine Your Ideal Self
- The greater clarity you have about the qualities that you most admire, and desire to incorporate into your
personality, the easier it is for you to engage in the behaviors that are consistent with those virtues and values.
3. Acting As If You Were Already That Person
- If you wish to develop the quality of patience, for example, practice being patient even when you feel pressured or in a hurry.
- This habit of projecting yourself forward into the distant future, and then looking back to the present for guidance on the steps that you should be taking each day can have a profound impact on your life.
4. Change Your Destiny
- To become a person of great quality and value, you should develop the habit of reading about and studying about other men and women who have started with
little or nothing and who have gone on to accomplish wonderful things with their lives.
5. Aspire To Leadership
- Different areas of endeavor require different qualities of leadership to be successful.
- The qualities of leadership necessary to start and build a successful entrepreneurial business are very different from the leadership qualities necessary to run a large organization.
6. Whatever It Takes
There have been more than 3300 studies of leadership conducted over the years.
- The one quality that all these studies on leadership held in common was the quality of “vision.” Leaders have vision; ordinary people do not.
7. Develop A Vision
- You must develop the habit of projecting forward several years into the future.
- You must develop the habit of developing absolute clarity about what you want to accomplish in your position, and what it will look like if you are successful.
8. Be The Best At What You Do
- In business, the most important long-term vision you can have for your organization is to “be the best.”
- Developing the habit of thinking in terms of making your business the very best in your industry is an essential quality of visionary leadership.
9. Dare To Go Forward
- Men, women and leaders at every level, must develop the habit of courage.
- Many people have exciting hopes, dreams and visions for the future. But only a few people have the courage to take the risks necessary to turn those visions into realities.
- It is impossible to succeed without failing.
10. The Secret to Success
- “If you want to succeed faster, you must double your rate of failure. Success lies on the far side of failure.”
11. Overcoming Your Fears
- “In every situation do the thing you fear.”
- “If you do the thing you fear, the death of fear is certain.”
12. The True Test of the Leader
- “Circumstances do not make the man; they merely reveal him to himself.”
- Develop the habit of asking this question, “What one great thing would I dare to dream, if I knew I could not fail?”
13. You Are Responsible
- Develop the habit of accepting complete responsibility for yourself and for every aspect of your life.
- Leaders accept responsibility.
- Followers do not.
14. Take Charge of Your Emotions
- Whenever you feel angry or frustrated about some person or situation, immediately cancel this thought and feeling by saying “I am responsible!”
- It is impossible to accept responsibility and to remain angry.
15. Tell The Truth
In every part of business and society today, the first quality looked for in an employee, a manager, a chief executive and even a friend or spouse, is the quality
- of honesty.
- You must develop the habit of living in truth with yourself, and with everyone around you.
16. Decide What You Stand For
- Whenever you are in doubt about a course of action, simply ask yourself, “Is this the right thing to do?” And then behave accordingly.
17. Never Give Up
- “Persistence is to the character of man as carbon is to steel.”
- Your level of persistence is the true measure of your belief in yourself, and your ability to succeed.
- What quality do you admire most in other people? How could you develop this quality in yourself?
- Imagine that you could write your own eulogy; how would you like to be remembered and described by others when you are gone?
- Create a vision for your ideal future; if you could wave a magic wand and make your life ideal in every way, what would it look like?
- What would you do differently, how would you change your life, if you had no fears at all?
- Imagine yourself to be a person of complete honest and impeccable integrity; is there any behavior of yours that you would change?
- How would you change your goals and actions if you learned that you had been guaranteed of great success sometime in the future?
- Resolve today to become a great man, or woman, and then practice the habits and behaviors that you would have if you were already that person.
“He that will not apply new remedies must expect new evils; for time is the greatest innovator.”
– Francis Bacon
Blair Ball is a Social Media Coach, conducting one on one coaching, group workshops and SE0. Here is a schedule of his upcoming workshops